May 20th, 2022
National Rescue Dog Day
You do a lot for a dog when you adopt them into your life, but they also do a lot for you! That’s what is celebrated on May 20 for National Rescue Dog Day.
According to the ASPCA, 3.3 million dogs enter an animal shelter every year, and each one of these rescue pups needs a home. When you rescue a dog, you’re helping them, but they’re also helping you and your health.
Dogs have incredible health benefits for their owners. They increase physical activity by giving owners no excuse to avoid a daily walk. Even the American Heart Association endorses pet ownership as a way of preventing heart disease.
Dogs are also good to help with loneliness and relaxation. They provide companionship and help people avoid feeling lonely. Just petting a dog raises levels of cortisol which decreases stress and lowers your blood pressure. Dogs are good for your physical and emotional well-being!
While adopting a dog right away isn’t right for everyone, below are some things you can do to celebrate National Rescue Dog Day.
- Volunteer to walk or play with dogs at your local animal shelter
- Donate supplies like toys, treats and blankets to an animal shelter
- Talk to a neighbor about walking or watching their dog when they’re away
- Remind other people about the benefits of owning a rescue dog
- Consider fostering a dog as they prepare to find their forever home
A dog may only be a part of your life, but you’re their entire life. Next time you’re looking to adopt, treat yourself to a rescue dog.