Trick or Treat Safety Tips
Trick or treat is tonight for many of the surrounding areas. Here are a few tips to keep your little ghosts and ghouls safe this Halloween:
- Accompany younger children as they go door to door. If older children go without an adult, discuss a preset route and return time with your child beforehand. Have them carry a cellphone.
- Go with a group.
- Wear bright and reflective costumes or have your child wear a glow stick. These will increase your visibility with passing motor vehicles. Most small children enjoy glow sticks, which also make it easier to identify your child in a herd of candy crazed children!
- Use sidewalks when moving from house to house and watch out for trip hazards such as tree roots, cracks and curbs. Also remember to look for vehicles before crossing a street or roadway.
- Carry a flashlight. A flashlight can help illuminate poorly lit areas and sidewalks.
- Remind your children to never enter the home of a stranger to collect candy.
- Always check your child’s candy at the end of the night. Look for damaged or altered wrappers. If anything looks off, discard the candy. Also check for possible food allergens and discard homemade treats provided by strangers!