Possible Warning Signs of a Fatigued Driver
Summer is here and many people are hitting the road for vacation. It is important to be as safe as possible while traveling on our roadways to protect yourself and your family, as well as others. You should always get plenty of rest so you are not driving fatigued. However, not all drivers share the same safety concerns as you, so it’s important to be aware of others who may be driving fatigued. Driving fatigued is driving impaired and can result in a motor vehicle collision, which can affect a person’s life in many ways. When it comes to recognizing potential fatigued drivers, some of the warning signs include:
- Slowly drifting or swerving in and out of the driving lane;
- Speeding up and slowing down;
- Erratic braking (consistently hitting brakes when no one is in front of them);
- Speeding excessively;
- Repeatedly hitting rumble strips;
- Overcorrecting or repeatedly correcting for driving errors; and
- Nodding of head (if you happen to notice).
If you see anyone exhibiting possible signs of driving fatigued then stay clear of their vehicle. If you feel there is a serious danger, then contact the authorities as soon as you safely can, as you may save many lives. Being alert and aware of other drivers can save lives!