National Dog Day
For many of us, we celebrate our dogs every day. We love them and treat them like family. National Dog Day is held every year on August 26. It celebrates all dogs, whether mixed, pure, adopted, rescued, etc. National Dog Day was created in 2004 by animal welfare advocate and pet lifestyle expert, Colleen Paige. She chose this date, as it was the adoption date of her first family dog. This special day celebrates all the wonderful things that dogs do for us and give us. However, it is also a day to remember that many dogs are homeless and are looking for their forever family. If your family is thinking about getting a dog, please consider going to your local shelter, as there are so many wonderful dogs that are just waiting to be adopted and loved. Dogs do so much for us every day. They comfort us, they save lives, and they even keep us safe. So what better way to celebrate National Dog Day than to show your appreciation. Here are just some of the ways to pamper your dog and/or celebrate National Dog Day:
- Adopt a dog from a local shelter;
- Donate items or money to a local animal shelter or animal welfare organization;
- Volunteer at an animal shelter;
- Take your dog for a nice walk;
- Get your dog a new toy;
- Spend quality time with your dog and spoil them;
- Treat your dog to a spa day;
- Take your dog on an adventure or hike;
- Take your dog for a swim; and
- Bake your dog a special treat.
Dogs can and do bring so much unconditional love to our lives, so remember to appreciate them. So whether you already have a dog, are considering adoption, or just love dogs, don’t forget to celebrate them on August 26. Happy National Dog Day!