It’s getting to be that time of year once again when Jack Frost will approach us with winter weather and chilly rooms. Most of us will begin pulling out the space heaters to make our homes a bit more comfortable, but as you plug into a power source it is imperative that you do so with caution.
As reported on CBS News: "You should never plug a heater into a power strip," Umatilla County Fire District #1 in Hermiston, Oregon, warned on Facebook recently, posting a photo of a fried multi-outlet to prove their point. "These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow."
"Nearly half of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and February," the NFP said. "Space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for two of every five of home heating fires."
After finding out this information I must admit I was very surprised. I know that around the holidays there seems to be a higher rate of house fires, but I assumed they were from kerosene heaters or fireplaces. Never once did I think it would be due to an extension cord or power strip a space heater was connected to.
Also, it is reported that if you choose to use a space heater, not only plug it straight into the outlet, but refrain from plugging any other electronic device into the same outlet.
There is nothing much more comforting than curling up at home on a cold winter day, but make sure that in doing so, you’re staying safe.